Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Pro Tip: Block Websites

If I'm going to make this happen, I'm going to have to change some behaviors that will just tempt me to shop.  Some of these behaviors are more like habits since I've been doing them for so long, including online browsing and shopping.  My first pro tip: block shopping websites!

I use Google Chrome to surf the web, so I used this tutorial to block specific websites:

If I have a weak moment and try to navigate to one of my favorite shopping sites (I'm looking at you Nordstrom), I'll get this message instead:


I'm also getting a little kick out of the construction worker dude's admonishments.  I've named him Bill.  



I can just hear myself throughout the year already.  Come on Bill, I just want to SEE what they've got in the Half-Yearly Sale!  I'm not going to buy anything, Bill, I promise!  Let me just BROWSE, Bill!  DAMMIT BILL!

Now theoretically, I could just go un-block the sites if I wanted to, but it'll at least take me much more work to do so and will give me a second to garner resolve.  Plus, Bill will know!

If you're an impulsive online shopper like me, maybe this pro tip will help you, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment