Friday, January 6, 2017

The Ground Rules

I decided to post the official rules for my spending this year, as I'm notorious for rationalizing purchases.  I can brilliantly craft reasons why purchases are not only necessary, but practically life-saving.

I love you Isla, but no, no the world does not get better when you shop.  And I'm pretty sure the economy doesn't depend on my credit card bill, either.

So here are the items that are strictly off-limits for 2017:
  • Any type of clothing items for myself, including socks and the like
  • Footwear of any kind
  • Jewelry
  • Perfume
  • Make-up - except for mascara (Because nobody needs to use year-old mascara, please)
  • Candles
  • Home decor items - except for the remaining letters needed to finish my alphabet wall in the playroom
Using gift cards for these items is also off-limits.  I need to break the habit of buying material goods, regardless of how I pay for them.  Thank goodness gift cards don't expire anymore!

What can I buy?
  • Food (obvi)
  • Consumables for the house (tp, paper towels, batteries, etc.)
  • Hygiene products (you're welcome)
  • Coffee and wine (I might be crazy, but I'm not that crazy)
  • Clothes for my son Beckett - but only things he truly needs in the next size or for the weather
  • Items for Beckett's 1st birthday and birthday party
When I look at my off-limits list, I feel a little yikes-ey.  I haven't gone more than a week or so without buying something from that list, so going a whole year!?!

But then I just want to slap the privilege right out of myself.  How will not purchasing those things be "hard work"?  Hard work is living in poverty.  Hard work is hiding your religious beliefs or sexual orientation so you won't be jailed or killed.  Hard work is not knowing where you will get your next batch of clean water from.  The fact that this year might be hard for me is just further proof that things must change.  Let's do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment